Historical Tree Restoration Committee
|Thomas J. Gaipa
|Joseph J. Hine
- To preserve, protect and improve all trees on public land in the Town of Southbury.
- Conduct annual Arbor Day tree planting and celebration as part of Southbury’s ongoing participation in Tree City USA Awards.
- Oversee Southbury’s Adopt-a-Spot gardens and actively promote sponsorship from local businesses.
- Manage and maintain the Southbury Town Tree Nursery inventory.
- Identify locations on public land where new trees will add aesthetic value and meet good planting practices (right plant in the right place) and plant trees as funding permits.
- Create and maintain the Southbury Tree Ordinance.
- Act as Deputy Tree Wardens in support of the Town Tree Warden.
- Review and inspect tree plantings on public land as part of development projects at the request of the Town Planning Dept.
- Consult with utility companies prior to large scale pruning projects (at the request of the Board of Selectmen).
- Provide consultation on tree planting and maintenance as requested by the residents and businesses within Southbury.
- Eighteen (18) consecutive Tree City USA awards as of January 2016. Of the 169 municipalities in Connecticut, only eighteen are recognized as Tree City USA communities; of them Southbury is ranked 9th in longevity in the program.
- Organized Nineteen Arbor Day Celebrations and tree plantings since inception.
- Received over seven National Arbor Day ‘Growth Awards’ for projects and planning above and beyond the requirements for Tree City USA recognition.
- Received 6 America the Beautiful Grants. The money received was used to plant trees throughout town.
- Maintain sponsorship of seven (7) Adopt a Spot plantings throughout Southbury:
- Developed a town tree ordinance which was approved by the Board of Selectmen
- Development and maintenance of Southbury Town Tree Nursery
For more information: To Adopt a Spot, volunteer or learn more, email email@example.com, or mail to Historical Tree Restoration Committee, c/o Southbury Town Hall, 501 Main St. South, Southbury, CT 06488
Regular Meeting Schedule for 2017: (7:00 PM, Town Hall, Room 208)
The Historical Tree Restoration Committee usually meets 2nd Tuesday of the month
(please check calendar for possible changes)
| January - 10
| April 11
|| July - no meeting
| October - no meeting
| February - no meeting
| May - no meeting
| August - no meeting
| November - 14
| March 7
| June 13
| September 12
| December - no meeting
Minutes & Agendas:
Listing files in 'Historical Tree Restoration Committee'