The Pomperaug District Department of Health serves the towns of Southbury, Woodbury and Oxford. The department is overseen by a board of directors comprised of members from each of the districts. Among the duties of the district are:
- Inspection of restaurants and other food service establishments on a regular basis.
- Inspection of swimming areas, public pools and day care centers.
- Inspection and approval of water supplies and septic systems.
- Help the control of communicable diseases through clinics, reporting, education and investigation. It also conducts flu shot clinics, adult & childhood vaccination clinics, high blood pressure clinics, cholesterol screenings, diabetes and skin cancer screenings.
- Provide the public with current material relating to health through the press, in seminars and with pamphlets.
- Work with local communities on the inspection and protection of existing underground water supplies.
- Emergency Preparedness activities
The Health District Board meets at 5 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at 77 Main Street North, Suite 205 Playhouse Corner.