10/24/2020 - Southbury Public Library Seeking Art Submissions from Children and Teens for Pinback Button Art Contest
The Southbury Public Library invites interested children and teens up to Grade 12 to submit artwork for the library’s Youth Button Art Contest by 4:00pm on Saturday, November 28, 2020. Chosen artwork will be included on 1.5 inch pinback buttons that will be available inside the library for interested patrons to take. This contest is sponsored by the Friends of the Southbury Public Library.
Calling all local young artists, doodlers, and visual creators! We want YOUR help making buttons for patrons of all ages to take this fall at the Southbury Public Library. Patrons and staff aren’t going to have as much time together in person at the library as much as we all want to, so we’re looking for ways to be together even when we’re apart.
Children and teens from toddlers up to Grade 12 are eligible to submit artwork, with a maximum of 5 entries per person. Entrants do not have to be Southbury residents, but should ideally have some kind of familiarity or relationship with the Southbury Public Library. Full information about design guidelines, submission rules, and submissions forms can be found on the library’s website at www.southburylibrary.org/buttons, or below:
- Must be the original work of the person entering
- Can be done by hand, digitally, or any other two dimensional medium.
- Can be in color or black and white; color designs should also look good in black and white. For color designs, the colors used need to be easily reproducible online and on paper.
- Keep scale in mind, as copies of the art will be printed out at 1.5 inches and should still be clear when reduced to that size.
- Content must be family friendly.
- The artwork should fit the themes of or be in any way related to any of the following topics: Southbury Public Library, Southbury, books, reading, kindness, hope, community, and/or togetherness.
- All Submissions:
- Due by Saturday, November 28 at 4:00pm
- Must be accompanied by a submission form (whether print or digital) that includes a 1-3 sentence description of the art in case artwork and form become separated
- Maximum of 5 submissions per person.
- Digital Submissions:
- More information about requirements and links to the digital submission form and a PDF of the hard copy submission form can be found on the library’s website at www.southburylibrary.org/buttons.
- Fill out the digital submission form on our website at the previously mentioned link.
- Artwork must be in a jpg or png (png preferred), 450x450 pixels, with a maximum size of 5MB.
- Hard Copy Submissions:
- Each hard copy entry must include a completed entry form attached with a paperclip and must be signed on the reverse side in case entry and entry form become separated.
- Submit art along with form (print online or pick one up in the library) to the submissions box on the Second Floor of the Library during library open hours (as of press release, library open hours as as follows: 9:30am-4:30pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; 9:30am-6:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays; and 9:30am-4:00pm on Saturdays).
- No larger than 8.5x11 inches, must be two dimensional, and should be able to be digitally scanned.
- After November 28, you will get a call or email and your art will be available to pick up from the library if you would like it back.
Rights and disclaimer:
Entrants will retain all rights to their works, but will allow the Southbury Public Library and Town of Southbury free, perpetual rights to use their design in buttons and other publicity and promotional materials. The Southbury Public Library reserves the right to make minor modifications to art, text, and context. The Southbury Public Library is not responsible for damage to or theft of artwork. Submission of an entry to the contest automatically constitutes the contestant's acceptance of all conditions set forth in the above rules. Entries not complying with the above rules will be disqualified. Participants agree to release, discharge, indemnify, and hold harmless the Southbury Public Library and Town of Southbury and their employees, partners, and volunteers.