The Town of Southbury is hiring a full-time Head Librarian to manage the Southbury Public Library. The position is 35 hours/week and offers a comprehensive benefits package. Salary range is $85,000-$90,000/year. This position is responsible for management of staff, volunteers and library operations, development and administration of programs, development and management of the Library budget, supervision of building maintenance and inventory and administration of policies and procedures.
- Prepares monthly informational and financial reports for the Library Board and First Selectman
- Meets monthly with the Library Board to review and advise on Library operations and policies
- Prepares the annual budget, accounts for expenditures of library funds in accordance with budget appropriations, purchases new equipment, books and furnishings
- Initiates and implements cataloging, classification and circulation procedures
- Oversees use of the library by outside groups and the library volunteer program; recruits, interviews and places volunteers in the most appropriate job and provides initial orientation.
- Initiates, develops and manages library programming and public relations and outreach
- Manages performance of staff, responsible for administration of library policies and procedures and maintaining adequate staffing levels
- Keeps informed of literature and programming developments in the library field to maintain a current collection and relevant community programs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public library operations
- Effective leadership skills and ability to supervise and administer the activities of the library
- Experience with short and long-term planning and development of programming to meet the needs of the community
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with supervisors, staff, board members and the general public
- Knowledge of computer technology and software such as Microsoft Office and library specific programs
- Master degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited college or university
- Three (3) to four (4) years of progressively responsible library administration experience including at least one to two years in a supervisory capacity.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline for receiving applications is October 18, 2022.
Applications are available online. Please submit completed application and resume to Claire Morris, Finance & Human Resources Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also be returned to Fiscal Office, 501 Main Street South, Southbury, CT 06488.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.