The Town of Southbury is hiring a part-time Library Assistant. The position is 14.5 hours/week with a salary of $14.00/hour. The required shifts are:
This position provides customer service to library patrons by assisting them at the circulation desks and helping them locate library materials, use various library equipment and provide general information about the library services offered.
- Receives and refers incoming phone calls, concerns and questions and serves as first contact for patrons at the circulation desks.
- Assists patrons in finding books or library materials.
- Performs standard circulation duties related to borrowing and returning materials on computerized system.
- Assists patrons with reader services or minor research if reference staff are not available.
- Issues library cards, renews library materials over the phone, provides information about library services, processes overdue notices, collects and records payments for lost or damaged books, places holds on library materials for patrons and calls patrons if library materials are overdue.
- Assists staff with displays and serves as support staff for children’s programs.
- Assists patrons with use of computers, catalogue and various resources such as e-books.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of library principles and practices, particularly classification systems and library computer software.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public, persons needing assistance and staff in a friendly and professional manner.
- Knowledge of database management systems for data entry procedures.
- Excellent listening skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Graduation from high school and 1-2 years of administrative, library or customer service experience. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline for receiving applications is December 30, 2022.
Applications are available online. Please submit completed application and resume to Claire Morris, Finance & Human Resources Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also be returned to Fiscal Office, 501 Main Street South, Southbury, CT 06488.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.