Southbury Parks and Recreation Department is hiring Summer Lifeguards.
Lifeguards will supervise and ensure the safety of participants during all aquatic programming at Ballantine Pool. Guards will be responsible for activity in the pool and on the pool deck at all times when on duty. Monitoring of the spectator area and changing rooms will also be required.
Lifeguards report directly to the Aquatic Supervisor and Director of Parks & Recreation. Ongoing site training and reinforcement drills will be provided during the season in addition to performance evaluations.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate, or equivalent, completed or in progress
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid Certificate, or equivalent
- Knowledge and ability to test the pool water chemistry (instruction provided)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises swimming activities at the Southbury Town Pool and ensures that policies, guidelines, and safety procedures are followed.
- Warns swimmers of improper activities or danger and enforces pool regulations and water safety policies.
- Administers first aid in the event of injury, rescues swimmers in distress or danger of drowning, and administers CPR and/or artificial respiration, if necessary.
- Evaluates conditions for safety and initiates aquatics emergency action plan as required.
- Inspects pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure that they are safe and usable.
- Evaluates water conditions with provided test kit and maintains records of water tests and chemical adjustments.
- Assists in cleaning the pool and related facilities and equipment.
- Instructs or assists classes in fundamentals of swimming as needed, with enthusiasm.
- Candidates should be 16 years of age by June 1, 2023.
- Candidates must be available for work shifts between the hours of 10:00 am to 8:00 pm daily, as scheduled, between May 29, 2023 and September 4, 2023. College age guards should discuss their end date with the Aquatic Supervisor.
- $14.00 per hour DOE through 5/31/2023; $15.00 per hour DOE as of 6/1/2023.
- Not to exceed 40 hours per week
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline for receiving applications is April 15, 2023.
Applications are available online. Completed applications should be returned to Southbury Parks and Recreation, 561 Main Street South, Southbury or emailed to PoolDirectors@southbury-ct.gov.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.