Southbury Parks and Recreation Department is hiring Head Camp Counselor for Adventure Day Camp.
The Head Camp Counselor is a vital part of the overall success of the program and responsible for acting as the support staff to the Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director of Adventure Day Camp Grades 1-5. The Head Camp Counselor is the onsite supervisor for After Camp, locking the facilities at the end of the day.
Camp Director and Camp Assistant Director, Recreation Supervisor, Director of Parks & Recreation
Camp Counselors, Activity Specialists, Counselors-in-Training (C.I.T.), and campers
Responsibilities & Skills:
- Daily supervisor of After Camp: facilitating pick up and locking the facility at the end of the day
- Takes on the Assistant Camp Director’s and/or Camp Director’s duties in the event the one or both are not available
- Collects lost and found items throughout day with Assistant Director and show items at pick up/after camp
- Cleans restrooms, pavilion, camp facilities, equipment/supplies and high touch surfaces throughout the day and reports needed cleaning supplies or necessities to Southbury Parks and Recreation administration in a timely manner
- Daily supervision, discipline, and evaluation of Camp Activity Specialists, Camp Counselors/Group Leaders, C.I.T and campers in recreation activities
- Stimulates interest and directs a variety of special recreation activities such as arts & crafts, dancing, drama, and recreation sports, etc. at instruction from the Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director
- Assists the Camp Director/Assistant Camp Director with training/meetings as needed
- Maintains superior communication with staff and parents by developing and maintaining respect and cooperation
- Ensures the safety and well-being of campers by providing high quality risk management and by adhering to camp standards and town/department policies at all times
- Assists in a pre-screening, sign in and sign out station, if needed
- May assist the Camp Director with staff evaluations
- Administers First Aid/CPR/AED as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum of two or three years as a summer camp counselor at respective site preferred. Must be at least 18 years of age. Ability to operate standard office equipment including but not limited to telephone, copy machine, computer, and standard office software.
Must have certification in CPR/AED and First Aid for Adult and Pediatric, Medication Administration and Epi Pen or get certified before the start of camp.
$16.50/hour; approximately 35-40 hours a week
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline for receiving applications is April 15, 2023 or until filled.
Applications are available online. Completed applications should be returned to Southbury Parks and Recreation, 561 Main Street South, Southbury or emailed to email@example.com.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.