The Town of Southbury is hiring a full-time Utility Laborer in the Public Works Highway Department. The position is represented by the Teamsters Local 443 Collective Bargaining Unit. Required hours are 40/week with the potential for overtime. Provides excellent medical benefits through the Teamsters union. Eligible to participate in the defined contribution retirement plan with Town match and receives life and disability insurance and generous sick, vacation and personal leave. Salary is $28.77/hour.
- Under the supervision of the Assistant Road Foreman, performs manual work in general maintenance activities in the Highway Department as assigned.
- Work frequently involves heavy lifting and other strenuous tasks and is usually performed outdoors involving exposure to varying climatic conditions. Required to drive equipment, shovel and plow snow, cut brush, and assist in road repairs.
- Performs heavy manual work in building and repairing roads, streets, culverts and bridges.
- Assists in preparing asphalt, concrete and other street repair materials.
- Repairs road shoulders, guardrails and fences.
- Digs and backfills ditches; cleans catch basins and sewers; lays pipe; repairs and replaces catch basins and drainage pipes; operates water truck and vacuum truck.
- Keeps roads clear of litter, glass and leaves; cuts brush and wood; shovels and loads debris into vehicles; cuts weeds and grass; cleans grounds.
- Loads and hauls gravel, soil, lumber and other materials.
- Assists with snow and ice removal by plowing snow and mixing/spreading sand and salt.
- Utilizes shovel, rake and small hand tools; operates chain saws and other light maintenance equipment.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
- Paints equipment including snow plows and sanders, repairs and installs truck canvas covers, repairs truck chains for snow and ice control.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Significant physical strength, stamina and coordination, including the ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds without assistance. Must be in good physical condition to permit performance of heavy manual work.
- Must protect the physical safety of self and others.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment in accordance with State and Federal guidelines and have ability to drive heavy equipment in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time to shovel, haul and load.
- Ability to perform heavy manual work for extended periods in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ability to perform overtime work related to winter storms and weekend and holiday work related to special events.
- Ability to understand and follow specific oral instructions; ability to read and write.
- Ability to operate the following required equipment, including but not limited to: backpack blower, chain saw, hand-held earth compactor, rodding machine, small air and electric tools, walk-behind snow plow/blower/sweeper, walk-behind vacuum machine, string trimmer, lawn mower, utility saw, and vacuum leaf machine.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Trades experience such as masonry, carpentry, plumbing, electrical/HVAC, and roofing is beneficial.
- Graduation from high school.
- 2-3 months of experience operating a dump truck and performing related manual work.
- Must possess valid CDL Class B driver’s license with air brake and tanker endorsements.
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline for receiving applications is September 29, 2023.
Applications are available online. Please submit application and resume to email@example.com.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.