Office of the Fire Marshal
501 Main Street South
Southbury, CT 06488
Maps and Directions
Monday - Thursday:
8:00am - 4:30pm
Fri: 8:00am - 1:00pm
Annual Fire Code Inspections
All businesses are required to submit a Business Contact form to the Fire Marshal's office.
If your business has Emergency Lights and/or Fire Extinguishers, you are required to do monthly and annual checks:
The following information is provided to expedite the annual inspection process of occupancies within the Town of Southbury:
- Contact those companies you utilize to provide required annual inspections and testing of Fire Alarm Systems, Sprinkler Systems, Generators, Hood and Systems (in establishments cooking foods with grease laden vapors) and Fire Extinguishers so that they are conducted prior to the time of inspection.
- Ensure that any violations found in past inspections have been corrected.
- Ensure that monthly and annual testings and inspections have been conducted on Emergency Lights, Exit Signs and Fire Extinguishers (see above links to forms).
- Ensure that all exits are clear of storage, debris and other items which create an impediment to egress, and that all exit doors function properly.
- Ensure that all required fire doors and their hardware (self closers, handles, panic bars) operate properly, that the doors meet required ratings and that they close and latch upon release or operation.
- Ensure that there is no storage of combustible items in areas such as boiler or furnace room and that there is a minimum clearance of 36” around boilers, water heaters and electrical panels.
- Remove any and all electrical extension cords being used on any device not classified as a portable appliance by the code and ensure that cords properly used are of required size for t he appliance they are used with.