Public Works Department
60 & 66 Peter Road
Southbury, CT 06488
Maps and Directions
Monday - Thursday:
8:00am - 4:30pm
Fri: 8:00am - 1:00pm
The Fleet Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department is charged with insuring that all Town vehicles and equipment are available, reliable and safe. The Town Garage is manned by a dedicated staff whose services regularly extend to other Town Departments.
A sampling of the Division's activities:
- Provide repair and preventive maintenance services for all Town owned vehicles (currently over 100) and miscellaneous power equipment.
- Repair law enforcement vehicles and install and maintain specialized apparatus on emergency vehicles as necessary.
- Repair and maintain gasoline-driven motors, pumps, compressors, and related equipment.
- Inspect, diagnose, and repair varied mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems.
- Requisition replacement parts and supplies.
- Develop minimum criteria and standards for vehicle and equipment specifications.
- Assist other Departments in preparing specifications for special use vehicles.
- Provide training in the operation of equipment and check vehicles for compliance with all OSHA safety standards.
- Operate the Town's vehicle refueling system.
- Contract with outside vendors when indicated, e.g., major repairs, wrecker services, body work.
The Fleet Maintenance Division operates Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM and on an as-needed basis on weekends and during snow events and emergencies.